Tracie Peisley director of Pandora’s Other Box invites women artists to be part of an exhibition with the theme of ‘Skin’ to be held at The Horsebridge in Whitstable August 24th – 30th 2016.
Ethos of Pandora’s Other Box
My personal ethos has been to expand beyond one’s sense of what might be possible through following a creative process. With a goal in mind, ie an exhibition and with the camaraderie of others.
The atmosphere is one of unconditional positive regard. Avoiding self-deprecation, encouraging dialogue and risk taking through the art materials. My belief is that a group can provide enormous drive, direction and resource to the participants.
Why is it good to be in a group?
Often women work alone, often they suffer from a lack of confidence or a sense of being unconnected to others or parts of themselves. Often life and the needs of others distracts them from being focused on being accomplished artists and the arts council would still maintain that women are underrepresented in the arts.
What makes the shows so good?
The work is varied, any media can be included, previous shows have had performances, sculpture, painting, metal work, ceramics,…
The shows are a celebration, a moment of arrival and departure to new ground. They often evidence a shift for people. I don’t say that the projects have changed people’s lives but they have enhanced them.
- Each artist can submit up to 3 pieces of work (all forms of art are welcome: painting, sculpture, photography, 3D, music, video… (However, note that any work involving the use of electricity will need to be installed and managed by the artist during the entire duration of the exhibition).
- Works will be selected by a jury panel made of professionals in the Arts and Culture Industry.
- Maximum dimensions of work 2.5m Height, 1.5m width, 1.5m depth
- A £5 non-returnable entry fee per artwork ( 3X£5 for three pieces) and an additional hanging fee of £10 per artwork for members and £15 for non-members will be due for each accepted artwork.
- No hanging fee is due if the artwork is not selected.
- Payment for entry and hanging to be submitted with the artwork cash or cheque please.
- The artwork will be available for sale. A 10% commission will be retained on every piece of work sold ( work does not have to be for sale)
How it works
- Please send an initial submission by 1st August. Send a jpg by email to peisleyartist[at]gmail[dot]com with the submission form; one for each piece of work.
- It is the judge’s view that art work (with the exception of film) cannot be fairly and adequately viewed on-line. Please bring your art work to The Hub at the Horsebridge Art Centre, 11 Horsebridge Road, Whitstable CT5 1AF on Monday 22nd August between 6-8.30pm. Please note there is a lift or stairs to The Hub.
- If you plan to submit an art piece which is very large (ie larger than 1x2m) please contact Tracie in Advance.
- The judges will view work on 23rd August.
- Please then collect unselected work on the 23rd between 4pm and 5.45pm
- We aim to select as much as possible, however it may not be possible to select everything entered.
- You can submit up to three pieces.
- Film submissions can be sent via Youtube (private or public) between 21st August 9am and before midday on 22nd August 2016. This will guarantee we can download it and view it.
- Judges will make their choice for the final selection.
- All artists will be contacted on August 23rd by email and/or text (as preferred) told whether their application has been successful (their artwork will be exhibited and submission fee then retained).
- There is no storage space at The Horse Bridge and a swift turn around is needed to hang the exhibition.
- The gallery has public liability insurance as do I with Artist Newsletter, however insurance of individual art works is the responsibility of the artists.
Read more about the Judging Panel, delivering your artwork, etc on the Kent Creative Live page here